NFCSound takes the Overall Winner and Most Disruptive awards. Pico GP wins Best Pitch award and NGAGE received a special mention for their entrepreneurship spirit
The EB Tech Challenge gathered 62 applicants from 17 countries with cutting-edge technologies applicable in sports
The first edition of the EB Tech Challenge, a collaboration between the University of La Salle-URL and Euroleague Basketball, came to an end on Friday as finalist startups and projects pitched their presentations to the six-member jury in Barcelona, Spain.
The nine presenting finalists were selected from among a total of 62 projects from 17 different countries that applied in January and February to share their most innovative technologies that could solve existing challenges within the professional sports industry or create new revenue generation and fan engagement opportunities.
Meet the finalists:
• Accredito - Accredito.com is a unique, cloud-based platform where sport clubs, leagues, associations or venues can run their press offices online. Accredito.com is currently the only solution offering a set of tools to encompass both press office and journalist relations.
• Bubbllz - Bubbllz is a social media marketing app. It rewards users for generating and sharing content for brands/stores/eshops (BSE) promotion purposes.
• Content Stadium - Content Stadium empowers editorial teams of sports organizations to create and publish premium branded visuals, animations and video for social media within seconds.
• Couch Coach - Couch Coach is a second-screen application for basketball fans where they can coach from the couch, propose players, and win or lose points based on real-time decisions.
• NFCSound - NFCSound uses ultrasound technology to reach and engage fans through sound without internet or WiFi. We send data over sound: we turn any speaker or sound/music source into a tool to send data offline.
• NGAGE - NGAGE is a cloud-based Fan Engagement and Sponsor Management platform which enables both teams and sponsors to create fun, fan-centric competitions using virtually any game.
• Pico GP - Pico allows organizations to transform their 1-to-many communications to a 1-to-1 strategy allowing interactivity with the audience and creating revenue opportunities.
• The Perfect Trip - The perfect trip creates a widely extended live fan experience while providing the arena and club manager with detailed data regarding behavior and individual preferences of the fan.
• Watchity - Watchity is the agile live video production platform for digital channels that simplifies the creation of live video using smartphone cams and easy-to-use web editing tools.
Finalists got the opportunity to work all week long together with Euroleague Basketball executives in further developing their solutions to ensure it better solves the concrete challenges of Euroleague Basketball, its clubs, its partners, and other sports organizations. Participants attended lectures from La Salle-URL professors and top Euroleague Basketball management on entrepreneurship and sports business, in addition to being able to connect with industry leaders in networking events.
The winning projects are:
• Tech Challenge Overall Winner: NFCSound
• Most Disruptive Solution: NFCSound
• Best Pitch: Pico GP
• Special mention: NGAGE
“We are overwhelmed by the quality of all projects that applied, and especially of the nine finalists. Companies like these are the ones that will shape the future of sports consumption,” Jordi Bertomeu, President & CEO of Euroleague Basketball, said. “We are looking forward to further explore the benefits and opportunities that some of these technological solutions can potentially bring to the EB ecosystem.”
“We are very proud to have been able to share this week with high-potential startups from all over the world that have demonstrated how the sports industry can be disrupted,” Josep M. Santos, University of La Salle-URL’s General Manger, said. “We are very thankful to the jury for their participation in this project and for the value that they have added with their experience during the selection and the deliberation phases.”
Euroleague Basketball and La Salle-URL want to especially thank the jury members for their participation:
Salvador Alemany – President, Abertis
Xavier Bidault – Commercial Director, IMG Basketball
Sree Varma – Founder & CEO, iSportconnect & iSportconnect Capital
Luis Vicente – Founder & Chairman, 3vs Sports Partners
Jordi Bertomeu – President & CEO, Euroleague Basketball
Josep M. Santos – General Manager, University of La Salle-URL